Anakie to Adelaide 2006
3 January from Anakie to Taradale and Brian and Gabriel Buchanan. They have a magnificent property and sill some water in the dam although the land is very dry. We had a pleasant two days there with an outing to Castlemaine and markets.


Susan Brian and Gabriel

5 January and further north to Bendigo. Our first stop for mail. A lot of Christmas cards as can be expected and not too many bills. Susan happened to remember that people we knew from Port Keats, Patrick and Barbara Curtis live here and a few phone calls later we had the address. We had not seen them for 30 year but it was great to see them. A few pleasant hours were spent here. About midday we headed north again and made camp at the largest Ibis colony in the southern hemisphere just north of Kerang. Lots of birds and a good camp. Next morning to Swan Hill and we finally following the Murray River. All of a sudden the lakes are full of water here is green grass everywhere. We had not seen this since we left Townsville. Apparently they let a lot of water in the Murray for irrigation purposes but this could be finished in a month time.
Next camp besides the Murray at Boundary Bend. Such a nice spot we are her for two nights.
         Boundary Bend camping.                                                     Susan in the Murray River
11 January On to Mildura. This is a fairly large place where they started an irrigation scheme in the middle of a virtual desert. Already for days we see grapevines and orange trees as far as we can see. One side of the road might be  a green oasis and the other side looks like the desert. Mildura is not a very exiting town as the buildings are not as imposing as you would find where there is a lot of sandstone. We had a good camping spot in the middle of town besides the river offcourse. Here I caught my first Murray Cod (Catfish) The next night I caught a Carp even bigger than this one.
         My first fish in 20 years.                                           Some always do better.

13 January. We are slowly following the Murray River. Just out of Mildura we saw a wine factory from which we have bought heaps of casks. I had to take a photo of the shed.

Camping besides the Murray near Renmark.

That night we slept besides the Murray in a national park. We were the only ones in the park, even the fish did not bite. The river was flowing in Mildura but by now it has slowed down considerably.
14 January. A Sunday and had hoped to see a market somewhere but all the places we passed through were virtually deserted. When passing through Waikerie we saw TV antennas as big as the Eiffel Tower. Nearly every house had one.
With our satellite we can get TV anywhere. It would be difficult to carry on of those on the motor home.


TV antenna's in Waikerie South Australia.     We saw millions of those and enjoyed the end result
On the way to Morgan we stumbled upon a ferry across the river. We camped here. Still following the Murray River. Blanchtown, Swan Reach, Mannum, Murray Bridge, Tailem Bend, Milang. In Milang we stopped at a picnick area at the beach. Signs no camping $200 fine and we intended to find another spot after dinner. But a big bus parked beside us and later on a lot of locals came in for a drink. The day had been very hot, 41 degrees and they came to the beach to cool down. The owner of the bus had camped at the same spot for a week and had no trouble with the council. He said he would leave his bus parked there so it looked like we were together. We had a good time and a few drinks.
17 January. From Milang to Goolwa and Victor Harbour. They had an art exebition in a large tent where we spend a few hours. There were some fantastic paintings but too many 1600. Too much to take  in.

Victor Harbor "The Bluff" we have had worse overnight spots.

18 January. On to Kangaroo Island. We had not booked beforehand and were placed on a standby list. Otherwise we would have to wait another three hours. But they managed to squeeze us in. 45 Minutes later we were on Kangaroo Island. The island is a lot bigger than we anticipated, 157 KM long and the most important sights are on the other side from where you land. As usual we went to the information centre first where we got excellent advice. (There area few  information centres where the staff needs to know what is going on in their city) After that off to Cape Willoughby. Most roads on the island are unsealed and this one is no different. The corrugations are fairly bad and the fridge has to be repositioned every time we stop somewhere. There is no free camping on the island but the camping spots are cheap, $8. Next day of to Flinders Chase National Park. On the way we stopped at Seal Bay. Here is the largest colony of Sea Lions in Australia. To see the animals close to the beach was very impressive. On the way to the camp site we did a platypus walk, 7 KM but did not see any platypus. Another  8KM corrugated road to the camp site and by 4PM ready for another happy hour. We must be in the sticks, no radio or TV. Satellite did not work, too many trees. I had to punish Susan again with bush rummy.


   Remarkable Rock.  Kangaroo Island.                                                  Sea lion.   


20 January. We camped at snake lagoon, where we had an early morning walk to the beach. Half way we had to cross a bridge and I heard some splashing. Yes our first platypus on Kangaroo Island. I managed to get some good stuff on video.
From here to the Remarkable Rocks. They are truly remarkable. A lot of rocks sculptured by nature sitting on top of an enormous boulder. The wind had picked up by now and it started to rain. But because some rocks are shaped like a canopy it is easy to shelter. The rain did not last too long. Next to the Admirals Arch. The waves have sculptured a large hollow in the rocks but the true stars are the fur seals. We saw them last year in New Zealand but these put on a spectacular display. We decided to head back to the ferry via the north coast. No sealed roads here and the condition is not too good. By now we have collected a nice layer of dust inside the bus. When we camped for the night the wind was blowing at 100 miles an hour.


Western River Cove caravan park.


21 January. More corrugated road and more wind. We stopped in Stokes Bay, Emu Bay, Kingscote and spend the night at American River. The rain cleared up during the afternoon but the wind is still very strong. The campsite even has hot showers. The temperature drops to the 17 degrees late afternoon. I call it freezing.
22 January. Took the boat back to the mainland. When we arrived for the boat 4 hours early we were lucky to be able to drive straight on the last available spot. Luckily the wind had settled and the ride was smooth. We drove to 30 KM south of Adelaide and spend the night in a car park overlooking the ocean.
23 January. The Tomtom was a great help again to drive in to the city. We have been here before and had a fair idea where to park and it worked out as planned. Had a walk through the mall and market and took the free bus for a city loop. We have another look at the botanical gardens and parliament house. We spend the night in a caravan park at Glenelg called the Foreshore Caravan Park. When we were here last time we thought it was the best caravan park in Australia and it still is. $35 a night, but there are plenty who charge the same and don't even come close to this one.
Next day had a look at Glenelg and Adelaide Harbour and found a nice spot to spend the night in Semaphore. We parked near a jetty where half of Adelaide was fishing. The fishing is different from Townsville. The hooks they use, I don't even have them this small. It is for garfish we normally use for bait if we don't get arrested for undersize fish. They fish for crabs but only with crab nets. Crab pots are highly illegal. They were catching crabs by the bucket load.
We decided to stay for Australia day and spend the whole day at the festivities. We left after the Dutch folkloric dancers had finished and spend another night at Semaphore.
Adelaide Botanical Garden.